Sep 14, 2011

Henry Moore



READ THE INFORMATION ABOUT HENRY MOORE’S SCULPTURE AND RESPOND TO TWO OF THE FOLLOWING PROMPTS BY
MAKE SURE YOUR RESPONSES ARE AT LEAST 5 SENTENCES AND ANSWER ALL OF THE BULLET-POINT QUESTIONS TO RECEIVE FULL CREDIT!!

PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU WRITE YOUR NAME IN YOUR RESPONSE!!

PLEASE REMEMBER THAT THIS IS A HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT – NO TEXT-LANGUAGE!

ABSTRACT ART  "...art unconcerned with the literal depiction of things from the visible world" is Abstract Art - this type of artwork can, however, refer to an object or image which has been distilled from the real world, or indeed, another work of art. Artwork that reshapes the natural world for expressive purposes is called abstract"

Abstract Art = dramatically simplified or stylized.

HENRY MOORE (1898 - 1986 - English Sculptor) became well-known for his larger-scale abstract cast bronze and carved marble sculptures. Substantially supported by the British art establishment, Moore helped to introduce a particular form of modernism to the United Kingdom.

Moore is best known for his abstract monumental bronzes which can be seen in many places around the world as public works of art. The subjects are usually abstractions of the human figure, typically mother-and-child or reclining figures. Apart from a flirtation with family groups in the 1950s, the subject is nearly always a woman.
Characteristically, Moore's figures are pierced, or contain hollow places. Many interpret the undulating form of his reclining figures as references to the landscape and hills of Yorkshire where Moore was born."

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Moore


Prompt 1:

Read the information about Henry Moore and look at his artwork. If you were to create a piece of abstract figurative sculpture, how would you address the following questions?
  • Would you use one or more figures?
  • What would you try and communicate?
  • What kind of texture would you use?
  • Would you use color? Why or why not?
  • How would you position your figure?
  • Would your figure be recognizably male or female or would it be a generic human figure?
Prompt 2:
Henry Moore created abstract figure sculptures based on variations of a reclining female figure and a family group - creating several variations on a theme is called a series. If you were going to choose a theme or subject upon which you would create a series of abstract sculptures:
  • What theme or subject would you choose?
  • Why did you choose this theme or subject?
  • Where would your sculptures be located? Indoors? Outdoors?
  • What material would you use - clay, stone, metal, wood? Why?
Prompt 3:

Henry Moore keeps his figures anonymous so that the viewers can see the deeper meaning in the sculptures as opposed to seeing individuals. In this manner, the viewers are able to focus on the larger issues – emotions created by the body language of the figures.
  • Choose one of Henry Moore's sculptures (write down the title of the sculpture)
  • Describe how he uses body language and positioning to convey emotional meaning
  • If more than one figure is in the sculpture, how does Moore create a relationship between them?
  • What are the emotions he is trying to communicate?
Prompt 4:

The most important and lasting influence on Moore's work...was the world of nature. “The human figure,” he later wrote, “is what interests me most deeply, but I have found principles of form and rhythm from the study of natural objects, such as pebbles, rocks, bones, trees, plants. In his mature works, beginning with Reclining Figure (1936, City Art Gallery, Wakefield, England), Moore employed swelling shapes, undulating extensions, and rounded indentations that mirror natural forms."
from http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761553790/henry_moore.html
  • Choose one piece of Henry Moore's sculpture - write down the title and briefly describe the sculpture.
  • How does Moore's sculpture reflect his views about nature?
  • From his sculpture, what do you think the landscape of Moore's native Yorkshire, England looked like?
  • If you were going to create a figurative sculpture that was influenced by your favorite type of landscape, what would it look like and why?

10 comments:

Rachel F said...

Prompt 3:

A famous sculpture by Henry Moore is called "Family Group." In this sculpture, Henry Moore uses body language to display an emotional and serious meaning. I think the sense of deep emotion is greatly displayed through the connection between the three people in the sculpture. To me it looks like one of the parents is hugging the child tightly because they care for him/her and the other parent is reaching for the child because they also love and care for him/her.

Kate D said...

Prompt 1:

If I were to create a piece of abstract figurative sculptures I would try to use more figures to hold the interest. But, I think too many would distract the viewer from looking at detail. I would try to communicate a sense of movement and whimsy in the sculptures. I would use a smooth texture in order to create more of a "polished look". I don't think I would use color because I think it would distract the viewer and there would be too much going on. I would position the sculpture sitting down in some contorted fashion. My sculpture would just be a generic human figure.

Alex C said...

Prompt 4.
I chose the Family Group sculpture. This sculpture is of a family; father, mother and child, who are sitting together on a bench. This piece reflects Moore's view of nature as being not perfect, as the shape of the figures are distorted. I also think that Moore believes that the essence of nature can be captured by observing a family together. The only indication of the landscape of Moore's native New England would be that is was scenic, because most of his sculptures of people are sitting on benches observing the world. I could also extrapolate that New England was hilly, from the roundness of the people. If I were to make a sculpture of my favorite landscape it would be very wavy and resemble water, because the ocean is so beautiful.

Rachel said...

Prompt 1:
If I were to create a piece of abstract figurative sculpture, I would most likely use two or more figures. With these two characters, I would probably try and communicate the many aspects of love, and other human emotions. Texturewise, I would probably use clay, since I am pretty good with it, or some sort of stone (a simple material). I would not use color, because unless the colors are the focus of your piece, I think it takes away from the hidden meaning of sculptures. One example of a position for my sculpture might be my figures holding hands, but facing away, showing some sort of secret love, or maybe the hardships that come with falling in love (if they would be facing forward, but downward a little bit). Most of my figures would probably be slightly recognizably male or female, because I think that gender really effects the emotion that the audience receives from the piece.
Rachel Tenney

Ayah I. said...

Prompt 2:
If I were to create a series of abstract sculptures, I believe the theme or subject I would choose would be friendship. For example, two people holding hands, or even hugging. I would choose this theme because I believe friendship plays such an important role in our lives. It's hard to get through the day without friends to lean on and support you; without someone you can trust. I also like how friendship is such a general theme that you can illustrate any way you want. Someone might create the shaking of hands of two people who are of different backgrounds. Someone else might take friendship as two dogs sharing a bone; it's all up to the imagination and creativity of the individual. I would like my sculptures to be located outside, for the world to see. If they were indoors, not everyone would be able to see them and feel a sort of connection or maybe even a message within them. Finally, I would use different materials in each sculpture because you don't need to use the same material to represent things like balance, harmony, and composure. I feel beauty can be created out of anything.

Sam said...

Prompt 1
If i was to do a piece like Henry Moore, i would definately choose one figure. I would try to communicate a motion at action that would be performed. I wouldn't use much texture, I would either try to make it as human like as possible, or I would try to make it seem old and antique. I would use color just because it adds a lot to the work and makes it seem very authentic. I would position my figure standing because I would want to portray an action. I would make my figure recognizably male because I would find it weird to try and shape a female body.

Zach M. said...

Prompt 1: If I was to do a sculpture like Henry Moore i would use only one figure because my sculpture would be representative of myself. I would try to communicate what my personality was like through my peice. I would use a rough texture because i beleive my personality can be rough at times. I would use blue because that is my favorite color. I would position my figure as if he was talking to somebody in a forceful manor, because i like to get my opinion across. It would be recognizably male like me.
Prompt 2: I would choose a theme that is the different emotions a human has. I chose this subject because it is a good testiment to what all humans have in common. My sculptures would be located outdoors, so many people could see them. I would use stone as my material because it stands the test of times like the human race has.

Anonymous said...

Jackie
Prompt 1:

If I were to do a similar art peace like Moore I would use more than one figure, it would just you more to work with. I think I would try and communicate an important massage if possible throw my art; like family, unity and other things like that. I don’t really know that kind of texture I would use? I would either use one single texture of the entire peace or have a variation of textures. Depending of the way I have decided to make my texture with determine the color if there is any. I would add color to a very detail texture to make it stand out, but maybe not if I’m going for a more plan look. My figure would most likely be female and very recognizably so, unless I’m trying to say something that is better represented by a male figure.

Nate C. said...

Nathan Cylar 7/8


Prompt 1:

I would use many figures to make my sculpture. I would use figure that were similiar to henry moore's. I would communicate through the sculpture in the sculpture I would put a hidden message in it. I would use bumpy and smooth textures so that people can feel the piece as well as seen it and get a message. I would use bright and dark colors in the piece because I have a darkside and a lightside, or a happy and sad side. Positioning my figure would be hard to do. I know it would be abstract to show how my mind works in mo re ways than boring and dull it would show my creativeness. I would make it a generic human being to show my sharp intellect and imagination.

Monique B. said...

Prompt 1:
Monique Biggers

I would probably use more that one figure to show contrast between the figures and the colors used in the piece of art. Mostly I would try to communicate peace and a relationship between the figures either an emotional relationship or physical. The texture I would use would be rough and expressive in all different ways like it would almost look like its rocky but still has a soft side of the material. Color would most defiantly be apart of my piece because it expresses all sorts of different things like emotion and passion. My figure would have no type of certain position but they both come together in some kind of way. I would let the viewers on the figures determine the gender of my piece but I would use both, there would be no discrimination.